6 Ways to Treat Yourself as a Mother
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #TimeWithAveeno #CollectiveBias
As I sit here on the cusp of my third and last baby’s upcoming first birthday, I can’t help but reflect on the last 6 years which I have spent as a mother. This includes the incredible moments when each of my children entered this world, when they became curious toddlers, then terrible threes, and then precocious kindergarteners. Not to mention, all the highs and lows of motherhood. The days are long, but the years short, right? Treating yourself as a mother, like with AVEENO® products from Walmart, is so important.
The real “ah ha” moment came when I was a couple months postpartum with my third. Somewhere in between 3am feedings, spit up soaked shirts, lack of proper meals and breaking up fights between older brothers, exhaustion gave way to clarity and it occurred to me — you must take care of yourself as a mother, the same way you do when you are pregnant.
What does this mean exactly?
As busy mothers, we often place ourselves, and our self-care, low on the totem pole. But when we are pregnant, we tend to treat ourselves and our bodies with a little more care and kindness, in order for the baby growing inside to thrive. Nourishment. Long showers. A good night’s rest. And if we were feeling fancy, massages.
After I had baby #3, a lightbulb went on in my head and I stopped pushing and forcing myself to do everything and be everywhere, and started being kinder and gentler. Shouldn’t we treat ourselves like that all of the time? Let's work on bringing back self-love, this time as mothers, shall we?
If I can remind you of anything as busy days lie ahead, remember that you cannot pour from an empty cup. The more your children, or whomever it is, need you, the more you need to pour into yourself. I have to remind myself of this often and still don’t always listen to that voice inside. After baby #3, I have become more intentional of my time and try to indulge in “stolen moments” of luxury when the kids are asleep.
After all, “treatyoself” has its own trending hashtag on Tuesdays, amirite? I’ve partnered with AVEENO® to show you my favorite ways to do just that!
1. First things first, get yourself some pretty sleep or loungewear. I am a firm believer that your thoughts, and what you’re wearing, play a big role in how you feel. That being said, I love me some mornings in silky robes, like this tropical-inspired one, which whisks my thoughts away to somewhere exotic. That’s just half the battle ;)
2. Insist on at least one weekend morning to yourself. Have your partner take the kids out of the house and off your hands for a few hours. Spend this alone time doing anything you like! Sometimes I clean (yes, cleaning can really feel like a luxury, sans kids) or catch up on emails in peace (okay, who am I kidding, Instagram!), but bonus points if you use this time to soak in a relaxing bath or take a long, hot shower.
3. Give yourself an at-home facial. AVEENO® POSITIVELY RADIANT® 60 SECOND IN-SHOWER FACIAL from Walmart leaves you feeling your best with beautiful hydrated skin. The 60 Second In-Shower Facial, formulated with moisture-rich soy and lemon peel extract, works with the steam of your shower to deeply but gently exfoliate your skin. I’ve been using it twice a week for the last few weeks, and have noticed an improvement in my skin tone and texture. And best part is that I didn’t have to shell out the big bucks at a spa!
4. Experiment with a new seasonal recipe. Try my absolute fave, maple rosemary spiced nuts — perfect for welcoming fall!
5. Light some candles and take a bath. I realized that my boys have monopolized my bathroom and that I haven’t enjoyed a bath in my own tub until recently. I especially love soaking in the tub when the kids are napping — something about natural light streaming in makes this stolen moment feel even more decadent!
6. Try a new hair or beauty product. I ran out of shampoo recently. Basic problem, fancy solution. Found one with a beautiful spa-like packaging that I really liked (because that’s how I shop for anything, not limited to wine, candles, and lotion). AVEENO PURE RENEWAL® Shampoo and Conditioner renews your hair to its naturally healthy, most balanced state with each wash. It is infused with seaweed extract and a sulfate-free technology that works to lift away impurities without overstripping, leaving it shiny and healthier looking.
Click here to download a coupon and save $2.00 on AVEENO® products!
To find these AVEENO® products, check out your local Walmart.